St. John's History
St. John's Baptist Church was founded on October 9, 1903. It was organized by 23 Christian men and women who held the belief, "With God all things are possible." Mark 10:27
During the first five years of its existence, services were held at Odd Fellows Hall located on Columbia Pike (now the site of the Sheraton Hotel, not far from the National Air Force Memorial and the Pentagon). Previously "Freedman's Village" which housed freed slaves during and following the Civil War, was also located in the same general area. The first church building, built on the current site, was dedicated in 1908. Through the years the church has expanded and been blessed by the outstanding leadership of men such as Rev. James H. Marshall, Rev. John R. Wheeler, Deacon Cleveland James, and Trustee Garland Mitchell.
St. John's Baptist Church continues to be that Church at Columbia Pike and Scott Street, in Arlington, Virginia, that is a beacon of light to all who pass. Yes, with God all things are possible.